liverpoolcitycouncilThe Brain Charity delivers the Carers Advocacy service for residents who live within the boundaries of Liverpool City Council.

Read about: Advocacy SupportCare needs and helpNeeds AssessmentCarers AllowanceLinks

What is a Carer's Assessment?

A carer's assessment is an opportunity for you to discuss your caring role with your local City Council. The assessment will look at what it means for you to be a carer, how this affects your life and what support you may need to help you to continue caring for your loved one.

Who can have a Carer’s Assessment?

Anybody over the age of 18 who looks after someone who is disabled, ill or elderly and needs support can have a carers assessment.

How do I get a Carer's Assessment?

All carers should be offered a carers assessment from the Adult Social Services department of the local Council where the person you are looking after lives.

What will they ask me?

They will ask you questions to try to understand what parts of your life are affected by your caring role. They will look at how much help you give and time you spend looking after your loved one. They will ask about your health, work, housing situation and how you feel about your caring role.

^ top of page

I don’t feel confident dealing with this alone can I have advocacy support?

Yes you can. The council must provide you with an independent advocate to assist you in the assessment process (and after) if:

  • without support you would have 'substantial difficulty' in communicating your wishes, or understanding, retaining and assessing information during the assessment and
  • there is no other appropriate person who is able and willing to help you.

How will the Council decide if I am eligible for help?

The Care Act introduces national rules for deciding who is eligible for care and support. But it will still be for local councils to make the decision about whether or not your needs meet the rules and so whether you have what the law calls eligible needs.

You will meet the eligibility criteria if there is likely to be a significant impact on your wellbeing as a result of you caring for another person. There are three questions the council will have to consider in making their decision:

  • Are your needs the result of you providing necessary care?
  • Does your caring role have an effect on you?
  • Is there, or is there likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing?

^ top of page

What things can I get help with?

You may get help with things such as:

  • technology to support you: mobile phone, computer where it is not possible to access computer services from a local library.
  • help with housework or gardening.
  • help to relieve stress, improve health and promote wellbeing such as gym membership.

Some examples of the kind of help that could be available to the person you care for, in order to help you as a carer:

  • Changes to the disabled person’s home to make it more suitable and equipment such as a hoist or grab rail.
  • Funding for a care worker to help provide personal care at home.
  • a temporary stay in residential care/respite care.
  • meals delivered to the disabled person’s home.
  • a place at a day centre.
  • assistance with travel, for example to get to a day centre.
  • laundry services.
  • replacement care so you can have a break.

What is a Needs Assessment?

Needs assessments are for adults (18 years of age or over) who may need help because of a disability, ill health or old age. A needs assessment looks at the range of help a person needs.

The focus of a needs assessment is the person you are looking after but in most cases the role and views of the carer will also be taken into account during the assessment.

A needs assessment will look at:

  • The personal care needs of the person you are looking after and their thoughts on how that care should be provided.
  • If there is a risk to their independence and wellbeing if their needs are not met. For instance, is there a risk of falling or leaving the gas cooker on?
  • If there is a carer, such as a partner, family member or friend, the carer's views on the care needed, including the level of care they are willing and able to provide.

How do I get a Needs Assessment?

It is the responsibility of the Adult Social Services department of the local Council to provide a needs assessment.

^ top of page

What is Carer's Allowance?

Carers Allowance is the main benefit for carers.

^ top of page

Can I claim Carer's Allowance?

Not every carer can get Carer’s Allowance. You may be able to claim it if you meet all the following conditions:

  • You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit.
  • You look after that person for at least 35 hours a week.
  • You are aged 16 or over
  • You are not in full-time education
  • You earn £110 a week (after deductions) or less
  • You satisfy UK residence and presence conditions

How do I make a claim?

You can contact the Department of Work and Pensions for more information on how to make a claim.

^ top of page

Support for carers in Liverpool:


Parent Carers (children & young People under 18)

Advocacy for person in receipt of care

Help for carers

^ top of page