Free 12-week dance workshops for people with dementia
Having difficulty speaking, and feeling frustrated at losing words, can be a daily experience for people living with dementia. At The Brain Charity in Liverpool we regularly work with Speech & Language therapists and have now developed a new set of singing-based exercises for people with dementia and carers.
During our singing workshops for people with dementia, we use different interaction techniques to allow all participants to communicate, regardless of how much they can articulate, or how well they can sing! After the workshops, participants express an improvement in their mood and excitement at joining in the following week.
The effects of singing on the brain are, by now, well acknowledged by research. At The Brain Charity, we know that the positive impact of singing activities can’t be underestimated for people living with dementia. Not only does getting involved in our singing workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool empower participants to use their voices, it provides the opportunity to engage in various exercises and techniques that strengthen the muscles of the mouth too.
How to book a place
If you – or someone you know – would benefit from taking part in these singing workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool, please simply get in touch and we will try to place you on the next available workshop session.
What to expect
- You will be warmly welcomed into a group of people who are experiencing dementia and memory problems.
- We’ll be singing together for about one hour.
- Different possibilities of singing are welcome! And we love including participants favourite songs in the workshops.
- No prior experience necessary!
- Singing workshops are co-run by professional singing instructors and a qualified speech & language therapist.
- Refreshments provided at the end of the session.
- Carers are welcome and encouraged to join.
- The program will run for 12 weeks to maximize the benefit of the therapy.
Thank you to Quilter Cheviot Investment Management for making these singing workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool possible.