Coronavirus: The vast majority of our Information & Advice Officers and Assistants will work from home.
One member of the Info & Advice team will be on the premises each day to pass on any messages and to mail out hard copy information to clients from the Library.
- Your benefits during the coronavirus crisis (M.E. Association)
- Coronavirus and claiming benefits (Universal Credit website)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): what to do if you’re already getting benefits (Gov.UK)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): what to do if you’re employed and cannot work (Gov.UK)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): what to do if you were employed and have lost your job (Gov.UK)
- Coronavirus: useful information for disabled people (Disabilty Rights UK)
At The Brain Charity we know that many people with a neurological condition can find it difficult to find their way through the welfare benefits system, particularly if they have not had experience of it before. We also know that this can be very difficult if someone has difficulty reading, writing or concentrating for long periods.
Our Welfare Benefits service is there to help you with the following:
- Finding out what benefits you are entitled to.
- Supporting you to apply for those benefits.
- Helping you to appeal against a decision to reduce or remove your benefits if they have been wrongly taken away.
If you would like help from our welfare benefits service, please call The Brain Charity on 0800 008 6417. We will take your details and arrange for one of our advisors to speak to you.
The Brain Charity's Employment Support Service is also on hand to offer help and advice on employment issues, retraining, or finding meaningful alternatives to work.
- If you suffer from Cluster Headache and are applying for benefits, you could use some of this guide to Cluster Headaches and PIP. You'll probably find that the DWP know very little about this serious condition. You can provide the DWP with copies of the information from our website or from OUCH, the Cluster Headache charity. We also have information about Cluster Headache in our library and information centre.
- Read this guide to Universal Credit. There are links to more advice and support.
- Here is a guide to Epilepsy and PIP.
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (Disability Rights UK)
- MS Society Legal Line – 0207 791 9800 option 2. This goes through to Disability Law Service who they work with. They will help advise/support with Tribunals. Also help with any employment legal issues.
- Benefits (Citizens Advice)
- Benefits (GOV.UK)
- Tax credits (GOV.UK)
This is a video from the DWP about PIP: